Thursday 24 September 2009

Brompton Related Luggage!

I've never been one to like panniers and baskets and alike, but the time finally came for me to bite the bullet and let the bike do the heavy lifting. I usually use a Crumpler Weenie to carry all of my belongings and I must say it has worked excellently for over a year; but it's just not big enough. With the wetter weather due any day now I like to be able to carry the waterproofs just in case. Now, there are plenty of options out there depending on type of Brompton, type of load and fashionable leanings; but I purely wanted to be able to carry a flexable sometimes large load. I looked at the Carradice range of bags and I was very close to purchasing the City Folder, mainly due to its classic looks coupled with modern twists (leather buckled straps conceal quicker to use plastic clips), but it just didn't quite cut it on the volume stakes. I also considered the C-Bag and the older S-Bag, but I think these are more for the laptop carrying Brompton user. I've made it pretty obvious, but I purchased the front Touring Pannier and I love it. There are a two different configurations of the bag available with frame or without and its worthing making sure which version you're getting if you're buying online.
I intended on purchasing online, then I found out that Velorution (http://www.velorution.biz/) do a price match ("Don't feed Cowboys and Chicken") with any UK or European retailer, online or bricks and mortar and it just so happened I was going to be passing the following day! Bonanza! I went in and sure enough they had it and, I didn't even need to use the price match as it happened the price on the website was out of date and they were selling at the same price as online retailers.
I thought the Touring Pannier would excel in the cold/wet weather but it also has its upsides in the warm weather (as I expect, does the other luggage); these mainly revolve around not having something clinging to you making you sweat more! Also it means, if you go for a cycle in the chilly morning, you have somewhere to stuff the jumper come sunrise! I have nothing but praise for the front pannier, there is only one downside which I have found so far and that is the slightly slower fold time, as you have to remove the luggage pre-fold. I have found that you can re attached the bag once folded (though stability is seriously compromised with uneven or heavy loads) and push the Brompton around shops. I also usually carry my Brompton, unfolded, down steps etc and obviously (I say obviously but the first time I went to pick my bike up with the luggage attached I managed to make a complete hash of it) now I have to grab the frame a touch nearer the headtube. The stuff pockets at the front and sides are good for drinks and maps. The clippable pockets at the rear are good for more frequently used items and also smaller things that would get lost in the 28 litre capacity of the main pocket! The clips for the main luggage hold seemed to be in a bit of an odd place to me, semi submerged inside the side pockets. It works, don't get me wrong, but it took me a minute to find them first go! I was also happy to find a rain coat for my bag tucked inside the divided internal pocket, so should it rain, everything should stay dry. I'm officially converted into a pannier user and I can't see myself going back...

No comments:

Post a Comment