Thursday 24 September 2009

Standard Brompton Tyres...

There are mixed views in the world of the Bromptonaut about how useful the standard Brompton tyres ("yellows" due to the yellow label) actually are. Now I've had these on my Brompton for the duration of its life; which is well over a year now and I have only had one puncture in the rear tyre (frantically touching wood...). I ride through the mean streets of London on a regular basis, I do however do my best to dodge the glass and other unknowns in the road, I've only ever hit one pothole (read: crevasse) and that did more damage to my wrists than the tyres. I've had several near misses with cars, pedestrians and other mammals, requiring me to drop the anchors at short notice and come to a sliding stop. There is still a decent depth of tread and I am only just considering changing them to something else due to some slight cracks appearing. They've held up reasonably well in the wet, I never usually venture onto the road paint unless it's suitably warm and I do my best to avoid the ironworks; especially in the wet. So my view is that they are a totally acceptable tyre (I'm sure they wouldn't get through the Brompton QC if they weren't), but as with most things common sense is necessary. The big question now is which tyres do I get next...!

No comments:

Post a Comment